The EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) aims to entirely eliminate illegal timber from the European market by setting up a new culture of control and responsibility in the private sector.
Facing a prohibition to place illegal timber on the market, operators, importers and European loggers must excise due diligence, meaning they must make sure timber and timber products are legal together with their supply chain.
This regulation has applied from March 2013.
Three Obligations placed on the private sector
The EUTR aims to fight illegal timber trade by acting on the European demand for timber products.
- Prohibits placing on the market illegal timber and timber products in Europe.
- Sets requirements to exercise due diligence for European placers on the market.
- Imposes identification of their suppliers and buyers (excluding individuals), on all traders.
GA Imports – Due Diligence Policy
- Gathering Information – we will gather information on any species of timber purchased for re-sale on the UK market, and on the legality of the product.
- Risk Analysis – Based on the information we gather, we will analyse the risk of illegality.
- Implementing risk mitigation measures – after risk analysis we will take appropriate measure to avoid illegal timber.
GA Imports – Product Analysis
- Pine Products – including our range of Proboard Shrink-wrapped Panels in 18mm / 27mm thickness, and our A/B grade panels in 6mm / 9mm / 12mm / 15mm / 18mm / 20mm / 24mm / 25mm / 27mm / 32mm / 40mm thickness.
- Pine Products – Stair Stringers, Stair Treads, Window-boards, Worktops
- American White Oak Panels – including 9mm / 12mm / 15mm / 18mm / 24mm / 25mm / 30mm / 36mm / 40mm Panels, Table Tops, and Worktops
- Letter from Factory, stating that the raw material used in the production of our panels is sourced in the USA ( a low risk country)
- Certificate of Origin required
- Annual Visits to factory to ensure supply chain can be verified, and separation of raw material is present, if required.
- European Oak Panels – including 9mm / 12mm / 15mm / 18mm / 24mm /30mm / 40mm Panels
Purchased from Ukrainian Factory – CPI Index 32 (medium to high risk) – non certified
We apply our risk evaluation process to the supplier,
- Declaration of Honour from factory
- Due Diligence information agreement
- Monthly visit to audit timber stocks
- Certificates of Origin
Purchased from European Supplier, Scandinavia – Corruption Perceptions Index 2018 – 85 (low risk) PEFC Certified – 103237-2011-AE-FIN-FINAS
GA Imports PEFC Certified – SA-PEFC/COC-002226
Country of Origin for Raw Material – Corruption Perceptions Index 2018 – Finland – 85
Purchased from European Supplier, Scandinavia, CPI Index – 88 (low risk) SA-PEFC/COC002226
GA Imports FSC Certified – SA-PEFC COC 002226
Country of Origin for Raw Material – Finland/Sweden – CPI Index – 85 (low risk)
Purchased from Chinese Factory – CPI Index 39 (High/medium risk) – non certified
We apply our risk evaluation process to the supplier, (see index1)
Additional Documentation required:-