We are certified by the Soil Association and can offer both FSC certified pine products, and PEFC certified pine products.
FSC® SA-COC-002226/FSC Mix
Products with a mix label support the development of responsible forest management worldwide. The wood comes from FSC certified well managed forests and other controlled sources.
Controlled sources are controlled, in accordance with FSC standards, to exclude illegally harvested timber, forests where high conservation values are threatened, genetically modified organisms, violation of peoples civil and traditional rights and wood from forests harvested for the purpose of converting the land to plantations or other non forest use.
PEFC provides an assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper products that they are promoting the sustainable management of forests. Sustainably managed forests are those whose management implements performance standards based on internationally agreed environmental, social and economic requirements that form the cornerstones of sustainability. Although many forests are sustainably managed, the only way to provide credible proof of this is through independent checking.
Wood from a certified forest can be traced from harvested tree, through to finished product. This is called “Chain of Custody Certification”.
Certificates of Origin – Hardwood Panels
Hardwood panels are not covered at present by the FSC or PEFC certificates, however we are working with our suppliers, and are trying to establish certification for our hardwood products.
However we do demand a certificate of Origin from all our hardwood suppliers. A certificate of Origin provides an important document that verifies the source of the raw material when harvested. This helps us to verify that the raw materials we are using in the manufacturing process, have been brought from legally harvested sources, and are legally logged.
We will continue to look for ways to improve our record, and always look at the environmental impact we are having, and ways we can reduce our impact on our environment.
G A Imports have made every effort to reduce our carbon footprint over the last 5 years, and have established some key guidelines which help us to reduce waste, and re-cycle as much as possible.
- Packaging: we re-cycle as much of the packaging that comes into our warehouse, on the various products that we purchase. Where possible we will send our own orders out with re-cycled Hardboard, Cardboard, Plastic Sheeting, and even strapping protectors.
- Timber Bearers are re-cycled.
- Warehouse waste is sent to a local waste company, where each bin is sorted, and plastic, cardboard and many other products are re-cycled.
- Reduced Visits: We have reduced the amount of visits and travelling our sales staff make, and try to maximise the amount of work we can do by email, or phone and fax.
- Haulage: All orders are sent through a local haulier, which means he is able to collect orders as his vehicles return to his yard. They then groups freight together to maximise the haulage runs.
- All used paper is re-cycled.